Saturday, May 4, 2019

Dry vs Wet Sounds

I was quizzed last week on some audio/video terms and I failed miserably. I decided to do my research. Knowledge is definitely power. I like to know what people are talking about, no matter what.

Dry vs. Wet Sounds -- do you know the difference? I do now.

A dry sound is the original, or raw, unprocessed sound. When you tape a live concert, the sound produced before any mixing is done is considered dry. It is "natural" sound.

On the contrast, a wet sound is the opposite. Wet means the mixed, or processed, audio. It is "artificial" sound and usually comprises effects such as:

dynamic-based like limiters, maximizers, and expanders;
frequency-based like distortions, equalizers, and wah-wah;
time-based like reverbs, echoes, choruses, flangers, and phasers

Dry and wet sounds/signals are used together to create a particular and unique sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment